MATTHEWS STUDIO EQUIPMENT introduced the ROVER at NAB. The
improving resolution and sensitivity of today’s smartphones is propelling them
towards becoming an ubiquitous alternative for cinematography. That process
has taken a step closer with the new ROVER smartphone camera cage.
The ROVER was conceived to provide a comfortable ergonomic position, so that
hands and arms stay relaxed and the camera movement remains smooth and
steady. Integrated dual handles connect to the unique ‘Perfect Friction’ mounts
that adjust to any point of 360° rotation without additional tension adjustments
or locks. The design also allows the handles to become a natural extension of
the body, and double as easel arms, suitable for low angle shooting, table-top
viewing, and editing.
To ensure flexibility, Rover was designed with 16 Points of Freedom which are
industry standard ¼-20 screw mounts for customising and accessorising the rig.
Combined with MSE’s MicroGrip hardware it can be mounted to rails, windows,
trees, cars – almost anywhere.
The Rover’s key features include:
• Strong, lightweight all aluminium construction adapts to popular smartphones.
• Open Rover Cage design accommodates many third-party lens systems.
• 16 points of Freedom ¼-20-inch mounting points.
• Repositionable cold-shoe-mount adaptor for microphones and lights.
• Centre balanced convertible ¼-20-inch and ⅜ tripod mount.
• Compatible with Matthews MicroGrip heads, accessories and car mounts.
• ‘Perfect Friction’ handle mounts adjust to any point of 360° rotation.
• Repositionable and stackable dual textured handles.
• Handles double as easel supports for low-angle shooting, or table-top viewing